Holden High School is proud to be an Avid Pro Tools Certified Learning Partner. The best way to learn Pro Tools is in a small, hands-on learning environment. Learn Pro Tools 101 through Holden High School and channel your passion into a future doing what you love.
What does the Pro Tools 101 Course Include?
Pro Tools Fundamentals I (PT101) covers basic Pro Tools principles, giving you the required skills to complete a Pro Tools project from initial set up to final mix-down. Learn to record, create, sample, and mix your own instrumental or voice recording. Perfect for use in your music, film, and video game sound design and all post-production work.
About the Course
- 7-weeks of hands on training with an Avid Certified Learning Partner
- Located at Holden High School (10 Irwin Way, Orinda)
- Thursday evenings from 5 – 8 pm
- Must be 16 years of age and older
- Text book included
- Tuition: $700
About the Instructor
Harry Gold is an AVID Certified Instructor as well as an Adjunct Professor at Academy of Art, San Francisco. Harry is a Bay Area blues and jazz guitarist, pianist, arranger, and singer who has performed all over the United States as well as several countries in Europe.
For the last 6 years Harry has developed and directed the music program at Holden High School (an AVID Certified Learning Partner).
In addition to performing, Harry works as a luthier, repairing and building guitars for nearly 10 years.
WHAT IS PRO TOOLS?
- Pro Tools is a Digital Audio Workstation (or DAW). You could think of an old recording studio, with a huge mixer, tons of effects, recording onto tape shrunk down and put into your laptop!
- Pro Tools is the industry standard program for audio engineering. It’s used to record music and to create and record sound for television, film, video games.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The Pro Tools Fundamentals I (PT101) course introduces fundamental Pro Tools concepts and principles, covering everything an individual needs to know to complete a basic Pro Tools project, from initial setup to final mix down.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Start a new Pro Tools project
- Navigate the user interface and tool set in Pro Tools
- Accomplish common audio production tasks
- Learn to import audio, or set up a session for recording, etc…
- Edit songs in a multi-track Pro Tools session (this is a session with many tracks, navigating a session with 20+ tracks is tricky!)
- Incorporate proper recording and mixing techniques for audio and MIDI
CAN I CONTINUE TO LEARN PRO TOOLS AFTER THE COURSE? HOW?
Yes! This is the very beginning. You can opt to purchase this software. it is approximately $300 for students. This will allow your student to keep using the skills taught through this course on their own projects. This is also the first Avid Certified course. There are other courses offered with this as a prerequisite.
WHAT IS A SAMPLE SCHEDULE FOR ONE CLASS?
- The class runs from 5-8 pm each Thursday
- Learn Pro Tools through hands-on exercises given in the Pro Tools 101 Book
- We will aim to complete 1-2 chapters each day, with a break in the middle to clear our heads
WHAT KIND OF STUDENT MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THIS CLASS?
Any student is welcome. Behind every recording, concert production, film, and TV show is a team of pros that make it come to life. From capturing audio in a recording studio, to setting up stages for live events, the entertainment industry has a wide array of roles for creative professionals. This course best serves musicians, those who are interested in working in the TV and Film industry, or who are interested in creating sound for video games.
WHAT MODALITIES ARE USED FOR INSTRUCTION?
This course is very hands-on. It allows you to learn the basics of Pro Tools using the Avid Pro Tools 101 textbook and PowerPoint presentations to introduce concepts, but the bulk of the time will be in Pro Tools completing exercises, learning how to use key functions in the process.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- Snacks for the breaks and a pen and paper.
- Holden provides in-class use of the Pro Tools software and a computer station.
- Holden provides the Pro Tools 101 textbook (that you get to keep).
CAN I BRING MY PERSONAL LAPTOP? (AND USE MY OWN VERSION OF PRO TOOLS?)
If you’re thinking of purchasing Pro Tools, you could also bring your personal computer with Pro Tools installed. There is a 30 day free trial of Pro Tools which we would highly recommend you downloading on your laptop if you have one. If you don’t have a laptop, you could bring a portable hard-drive if you’re planning on continuing work at home from a desktop.