Why did you decide to come to Holden?
“I was home-schooled most of my life. When I was younger it was great. But, when I became a teenager, I started needing space from my parents and my house. I also wanted to make new friends since I’ve had the same group of friends since 3rd grade.”
What do you like about Holden?
- “I was very nervous about being bullied because I identify as gender non-binary and wear androgynous clothes. I like the fact that nobody makes a big deal about it. The students here are free to express themselves. I love how supportive the school is of the LGBTQ community.
- There are so many unique electives. There are classes that I didn’t expect to find at school, like Family Relationship Class, Ping-Pong, and Gardening. I take a different elective almost everyday.
- I love The Homework Lab because it’s a quiet place with no distractions. If I try to do homework at home, I usually get sidetracked with electronics. At school I can get help from a teacher or another student and it’s so much easier to focus.”
How has Holden helped you?
- “The weekly therapy sessions are super helpful. I can have high anxiety but Holden gives me coping tools that I use to calm myself down and focus.
- My teachers have really helped me become more organized. My room and basically my life have always been crazy messy, but Holden helps me sort things out. Now it’s easier to keep track of my assignments.
- I usually don’t like writing essays. Holden has given me a lot of help with that. The peer editing and partner work we do in English class is helping me understand and enjoy writing a lot more than I used to.”
How would you describe Holden?
“Holden is so different from a traditional school. Since we don’t have to compete with 30 other kids in a class, we get a lot more communication with our teachers. It’s so relaxed here. I like to wear clothes that make people feel playful like flip-flops, toe socks, and hats and no-one has a problem with it. Holden is a good school.”
What are your plans after Holden?
“I’d like to do something in the art field. Right now I sell custom animal drawings on Deviant Art and I really like it, so maybe I will keep going in that direction.”
Favorite subject: Art/Poetry
Favorite hobby: Swimming, roller skating, ice skating, drawing, making up weird voices, and walking weirdly.
Thank you for getting to know this quarter’s featured student!
If you feel moved to make a donation, please click here. If you have a question or a suggestion about what you’d like to see in our next update, please email Mawiyahj@holdenhigh.org